Apple holds privacy and security as its two core values and has some new resources on how it can protect your device, account and personal security. Let’s take a look at the suggested steps to make sure no one can track you by making sure who can see your iPhone location.
Apple has released a new 20-page support guide called “Device and Data Access at Personal Security Risk.” Whether your personal security concerns have been addressed or the time has come for a privacy and security checkup, the steps below are effective.
You can also find these walkthroughs helpful:
Check out who can see your iPhone’s location, how to adjust location settings, and more
How to check who can see the location of your iPhone – and make sure no one can track you
Here’s what Apple suggests:
Location services are being shut down completely
- If you need to stop all possible location services and tracking (temporarily or permanently), visit Settings > Privacy
- Tap Location services At the top, tap Stop To confirm
- Toggle the switch next to Location Services at the top
- Note that some services will not be able to work by shutting down location services
- When Apple turns off this switch, “Application services will be disabled for all apps, but your personalized location services will be temporarily restored if you use my iPhone to enable lost mode.”
Which apps can see the location of your iPhone?
- In the same settings section (Settings > Privacy > Location services) Look further down
- Note that you need to toggle the main location services to get started
- You’ll see a list of apps (Apple apps and third parties)
- Tap on one to manage individual location services
- You will have the option to allow location access “Never,” “Ask next time,” “When using the app,” or “Always.”
- Additionally, if you want to allow the location of an app and see it in more detail, you can toggle “Appropriate location”
And when you see the location icons on your iPhone’s status bar or in the settings above, here’s what it means:
Search with me to manage location services
- Inside Settings > Privacy > Location services Tap Share my location
- You can now toggle the button next to “Share my location” which will prevent family and friends who see below from seeing where you are.
- You can manage how it works by tapping my iPhone Find my iPhone
Who can see the location of your iPhone with Find My?
- Head Search my app
- Tap one person from the list below
- Swipe the bottom of the info card
- To like Stop sharing my location
- Alternatively, you can do the same Settings > Privacy > Location services > Share my location > Family friends
Who can see your iPhone’s location in third party apps?
- If you’re sharing your location with others in third-party apps, it won’t show up in your main iOS settings
- Go back Settings > Privacy > Location services To see what location access is in applications
- If you’re unsure if an app has access, you can return them all to “Ask next time” or “Never”
- Common third party applications with location access on your iPhone include Google Maps, Facebook, Instagram, other social media apps, Uber / Laft, other travel, fitness, shopping apps (remember there may or may not be apps)
Protecting your Apple devices and moving forward
Additionally, you can read Apple’s full 20-page guide on device and data privacy.
FTC: We use revenue generating automated links. More
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news:
(Embed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QajuVCn_q_c (/ embed)