“All NSW sports clubs and organizations must ensure strict adherence to the Covid safety plan to protect their players and the wider community,” he said. “Obligation will be the biggest enemy for our state so please make sure everyone is practicing hand hygiene and keeping away socially where possible.”
The Sport Australia-compiled ‘Sport to Sport’ guideline states that all huddles, handshakes and the top five are off-limits to community sports for the future.
Shannon Teams, ISNSW Indoor Netball State Co-ordinator, said the center followed “strict COVID guidelines” but would not comment on why the photo was taken with such a large group.
“We are an industry that has been forced to shut down for more than four months and has been severely affected by this COVID crisis,” he wrote in an email.
Mrs. Timms then asked if the Herald and Age had warned in the film.
“While we appreciate the concern for everyone, they don’t need to be concerned and instead of going to the media there should probably be (sic) strength in other aspects that people support,” he said.
Police were called to a rugby club in the eastern suburbs on Saturday afternoon amid concerns over social distance.
Several other local clubs across Sydney also took to social media in the last two weekends after returning to community sports on July 2.
Last week, the Victorian government was forced to announce a six-week stage-three lockdown in the metropolis of Melbourne and Mitchell Shire due to the second wave of COVD-19.
This means that again, as the community was forced to stop playing, a second shutdown is likely to push local clubs to financial ruin.
The government’s concerns have also been raised after NSW police were called to a trial rugby match over 19 CVD concerns in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.
Officials were called to the rugby club in the eastern suburbs amid concerns over social-distance in the shoot-shield trial game against the University of Sydney on Saturday afternoon. They have left the scene to continue investigating the incident.
“Police were called yesterday (Saturday) at around 3:30 pm after they expressed concern about physical distance during a rugby game on Bellevue Hill,” a police statement said. “Officers from the Eastern Suburbs Police Area Command are investigating. No further information is available at this time. “
Ezist president John Murray defended the event on Sunday after pictures of the crowd surfaced at the match. Mr Murray said the event was fully ticketed and fully within COVID-19 restrictions.
Sarah is a reporter for the Sydney Morning Herald.
Most viewed in sports