RAILE, NC (WNCN) – State and local law enforcement leaders say they are working together, and remain vigilant against threats to North Carolina’s capital and base this weekend.
The FBI issued a warning this weekend about planned armed protests in all 50 state capitals. One of the most widely circulated flyers on Sunday called for an armed march.
“We still do not know who is planning to come here. We are working with the capital police. We are working on State Highway Patrol. We are working with the legislature police. We are cooperating. We’re sharing information, “said Rally Mayor Mary-Ann Baldwin.
The North Carolina Department of Public Safety, which oversees the Capitol Police, says they cannot comment on specific security plans, but they remain extremely vigilant.
“Our law enforcement agencies are working with our local, state and federal partners to identify and address a myriad of public safety threats. The state and federal governments continue to do the necessary work and I am grateful to our outstanding law enforcement professionals for their services, ”a spokesman said in a statement.
Relih police added that they could not comment on whether any additional measures would be taken to protect residents and businesses in the suburbs, but said they had considered and evaluated a number of issues, including incidents elsewhere, due to safety and staff decisions. ”
The department is asking residents and business owners to report any suspicious activity.
Baldwin says the department will be ready. He said they had learned from the mistakes they made during the violence and riots after the cities of ethnic justice protests last spring.
“Caught on flat feet. Although we saw a lot of protests in Raleigh, we are a capital city, we have never seen before, “he said.” We have learned a lot. We are ready. “
Baldwin said he had no plans to impose a curfew, given the current information available and similar protests during the day.
“People have the right to protest, but we also have to think about security,” he said.
Javed Ali, a former senior director of counterterrorism at the National Security Council, said he had drafted a similar bulletin to the person who issued the warning about armed protests during the FBI.
“It’s unprecedented in my memory,” he said.
Ali’s threats need to be taken seriously as it is not clear how credible they are.
“Plan for the worst and hope for the best. After what happened last week at U.S. Capital, you have to have an idea that something like this could happen,” he said.
The North Carolina Department of Administration still says the only permit request for this weekend was approved in July.
NC Right to Life will hold a procession and rally at the biennial mall on Saturday. Lt. Governor Mark Robinson is scheduled to speak.
Event organizers say they have celebrated the march peacefully for 22 years in a row and plan to do it again this weekend.
“We have a consistent record of good communication with city and state officials at rallies and marches. NCRTL and its supporters have praised the cleanliness of the city and the good communication with the capital and local police, ”Will Moore, assistant director of the North Carolina Right to Life, said in an email.