NEW DELHI – India on Monday reported about 20,000 new coronavirus infections, a new record for the country, as several states have removed partial or complete lockdowns to prevent the spread of the virus.
According to the Ministry of Health, the number of cases in India has increased by about one lakh in the last one week. In all, the country has confirmed 5447,316 cases, making it the fourth-most-affected country in the world after the United States, Brazil and Russia. The death toll in India has reached 16,475.
The capital district of northeastern Assam on the Bangladesh border has resumed the entire lockdown till July 12. The other border state, West Bengal, has extended the lockdown till July 31.
However, in India’s worst-hit states – Maharashtra, which includes India’s financial capital, Mumbai and Delhi, including the capital New Delhi – most of the lockdown restrictions have been eased, with restaurants, shopping malls and parks reopened, and public buses and shared rides back on the road. Services.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates – The United Arab Emirates Civil Aviation Authority has suspended all flights to Pakistan for fear of spreading the coronavirus.
The UAE-based WAM news agency issued a statement late Sunday night announcing the decision by the country’s General Civil Aviation Authority.
Officials said the flights would resume after a “special laboratory” was set up to test the coronavirus for those arriving in the UAE from Pakistan.
Last week, Pakistani media reported that two passengers from Pakistan had arrived in Hong Kong and tested positive for the coronavirus-infected COVD-19. Passengers transited through the UAE.
Pakistan resumed international travel earlier this month, even as critics said the airport alert was limited and ineffective.
MANILA, Philippines – Philippine officials say authorities in any central village could face criminal or administrative charges for allowing street parades and dances during a severe coronavirus lockdown.
Cebu City Mayor Edgar Lebella said Basak village officials have been ordered to explain why a religious fiesta rally in honor of St. John the Baptist was held on Saturday, despite a separate ban on public gatherings. Actors in native costumes and masks danced during the night procession, which drew large crowds.
The Philippines has eased quarantine restrictions in most areas to boost its contract economy, with officials tightening the city of Cebu this month and deploying more police to enforce the ban following an increase in infections.
The Philippines remains a Southeast Asian coronavirus hotspot with more than 35,000 infections, of which 1,244 have died.
COUL, South Korea – South Korea has reported 42 new outbreaks of COVID-19 as the outbreak continues to rise in the larger capital region, forcing authorities to consider stricter social restrictions.
Figures released by the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Monday put the number of national cases at 22,7557, with 282 deaths. Twenty-four new cases have been reported from the capital, Seoul, and surrounding metropolitan areas, which have been at the center of a resurgence since the end of May. The virus was associated with at least 12 international arrivals in South Asia, the United States and beyond.
South Korea was reporting hundreds of new cases a day after a major uprising in the vicinity of the southeastern city of Daegu in late February and early March, where most of the infections were with single church congregations with thousands of members.
But while health authorities used aggressive testing and contact detection to control the outbreak in the region, they are having a much harder time tracking recent infections in the Seoul metropolitan area, home to about 51 million people in the country. New clusters of nightspots, churches, restaurants, warehouses and door-to-door vendors are spreading almost everywhere, as people express a growing enthusiasm among the public.
Health Minister Park Neung-hu announced during a briefing on Sunday afternoon that the government was ready to implement more robust distance measures if the epidemic continued to grow.
BEIJING – China further reduced the number of newly confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Monday, with a total of 12 cases of seven domestic infections in Beijing, where about 8.3 million people have now been tested in recent weeks. The National Health Commission said the number of new cases in the city had halved since the previous day.
No new deaths were reported on Monday, with a total of 4,6334 cases confirmed in COID-19, 63,512. At present, 417 patients are being treated and 112 more are being monitored for suspected cases or positive tests without any other symptoms.
Beijing has temporarily shut down a huge wholesale food market where the virus spread widely earlier this month, shutting down schools again and shutting down some neighborhoods. Anyone who leaves Beijing needs to collect the result of a negative virus test within seven days.
About 6.69 million people tested in Beijing have returned their results, city official Zhang Qiang said on Sunday. There are more than 20 million people in Beijing, but authorities are still focusing on high-risk groups such as those working in the food and salon industry and those living in areas where cases have been detected.