Former Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett has argued behind calling the Australian Open “rubbish”.
The criticism comes amid concerns over the possibility of hosting the event against the risk of a state that has endured one of the toughest coronavirus lockdowns on the planet.
In an effort to justify the decision, Premier Daniel Andrews cited a significant number of jobs and economic benefits so that the event would provide a state that has done it strictly.
“If the Australian Open does not take place in Melbourne, it will take place elsewhere,” Mr Andrews said on Thursday, announcing the president’s decision on the event.
“It will happen in Japan, it will happen in China, it will happen in Singapore. The real risk does not come back then.
“Just focus on the future of this event … there are so many cities around the world that could do something for one of the grand grand slam events anchored in their city … you don’t invite it.”
It failed to persuade Mr Kennett, who made double standards allegations against the state leader.
“Premier is the best practice. Garbage. Clear Victorians are being left out of the state, ”Kennett tweeted.
“Business has failed. We have been told because hypocrisy must be given priority in health consideration! Lose open! How dishonest!
Tweeted from Jeff_Kennet টুইটTweeted from @Jeff_Kennet
“Every small business person should be outraged.
“Every big game has been affected. Even the Olympics have lagged behind. Our Grand Prix has been postponed. Why is the tennis open not behind?
‘And to make matters worse, we’ve preferred a player who comes to Vic who has tested positive! “
Mr Kennett is referring to American player Tenny Sandgren, who was allowed a charter flight to Melbourne earlier this week after a positive test at COVID-19.
Sandgren returned a positive result on Monday after a largely positive test in late November. He was first banned from flights featuring international players outside of Los Angeles.
But Emergency Services Minister Lisa Neville said Sandgren was good on the trip to Australia because her body was “raining” the virus.
“The positive result of Tenny Stangren was reviewed by health experts and was determined to prevent the spread of the virus from previous infections, so the whole issue of flying was cleared up,” he tweeted.
“Anyone who is not positive for the first time – or may still be contagious – will not be allowed to open the Aus.”
টুইট Tweets from Lisanville MP
According to Tennis Australia, Sandgren, like all of the 1200-strong international conditions, will be tested daily at their three hotels during the 14-day separation.
Meanwhile, five-time finalist Andy Murray will not be given preferential treatment if he wants to play in the Australian Open after positive testing in Covid-19.
After becoming one of four international players for a positive test, the former World Cup failed to attend the 1200-strong cohort of international players and officials on a charter flight to Australia.
Madison Key, ranked 1.1 in the American world, and Alejandro Davidovic Fokina, ranked 5.5 in the Spanish world, also returned positive.
Double Wimbledon champion Murray is said to be in good health and is hopeful of being able to compete in the first Grand Slam of the year starting February 8th.
Given a wildcard after hip surgery that put an end to his career, the tournament’s drawcard is reportedly working to find a way to play with Australian Open boss Craig Tilly.
However, Victorian Health Minister Martin Foley said the Scotsman must not expect any special grace.
Mr Foley said on Friday, “In the case of Mr Moore, it has been clear from the outset that anyone who tests positive will not be able to take part in programs in Melbourne and Australia,” Mr Foley said Friday.
“Mr Murray and 1240 other people need to be shown as part of this program that if they come to Melbourne they come back with a negative test.
“If Mr Murray arrives and I have no indication that he will come, he will be subject to the same strictures as everyone else.
“If he is tested positive before coming to Australia, he will be rejected.”
The former Melbourne Park semifinal player is self-defeating after posting his results on social media.
“I have unfortunately tested positive for it [COVID-19] Kiss was supposed to go to Australia first, “Ki wrote.
“After rigorous training in the off-season and working so hard to make these things happen knowing Tennis Australia and the tours, I am very disappointed not to be able to play in the coming weeks.”
The first players arrived in Melbourne on Thursday night. Mega stars including Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams, Simona Halep, Naomi Osaka and Dominic Theme flew directly to Adelaide.
– With you