Judges ordered Seattle to stop using fair gas during the protests

SEATTLE – A U.S. judge on Friday ordered Seattle police to temporarily stop using gas and water, pepper spray and flash-bang devices to quell peaceful protests on Thursday, a victory for groups saying authorities have reacted too strongly to recent protests against police brutality and racism. There is injustice. vil generous

U.S. District Judge Richard Jones ordered the Seattle Police Department this week, two weeks after filing a lawsuit against the Black Lives Matter Group, to stop the violent tactics used to quell the protests.

Officers used tear gas, pepper spray and other force against the crowd protesting the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police last weekend.

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan and Police Chief Carmen Best apologized to peaceful protesters who fell victim to chemical weapons. But Better said some violent protesters targeted police, threw things and ignored orders to disperse. Both faces called for resignation, which was rejected.

The judge said the use of violent tactics to break up the protests turned out to be a strong case that the blind use of force was unconstitutional. Jones said weapons such as gasoline and pepper spray have failed to target “any single agitator or criminal” and are particularly problematic in coronavirus epidemics.

Jones writes: “They can even fall into passengers’ homes or offices because they have no discrimination.”

Durkan, a former attorney, said he believed the court had struck the right balance in protecting the fundamental constitutional right to protest, and that public safety also needed to be ensured, a spokesman said in an email.

Durkan also called for a review of police activities from the Police Accountability Office and city inspectors in general.

This week, protesters turned part of Seattle’s Capitol Hills into a protest center with street speakers, drum circles and black live matter painted near a station. Police in riot gear stormed a rally on Friday, removing hundreds of protesters by truck. Throws. The mayor and police chief said they had temporarily stopped using it, and police used gas and water for hunting two days later.

Durkan tweeted that he had visited the so-called autonomous region, which was criticized by President Donald Trump, for talking to organizers on Friday about progress. He said that as long as he could remember, Capitol Hill was a place where people could go and express themselves.

Trump has condemned him and Governor Jay Insili for not breaking the occupation by “anarchism” and threatening to take action if they do not. Both have attacked his comments and said they are concentrating on a peaceful solution.

Michelle Storms, executive director of ACLU in Washington, said the team was satisfied with the judge’s decision.

“The city must allow freedom of speech and assembly, and this must address police accountability and the use of excessive force,” Storm said in a statement.

The decision came after a blackout matter sparked a mass rally in the rain in response to a Seattle-King County call for a general strike across the state, and some businesses were temporarily closed.

“Today, as thousands of people gather to express silence and solidarity against police brutality, the U.S. District Court has upheld their right to protest without resorting to state violence. This is a victory today, “the group said in a statement.

Black Life Matter encouraged supporters not to leave home to work or work on Friday and to take the time to learn about local elected officials and issues. Organizers are demanding city, county and state to cut at least 100 100 million from Seattle’s police budget, including ending cash bonds and declaring racism a public health crisis.

Copyright 2020 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.


Leave a Comment