Apple is making iOS 13.6 available to all users today. The update brings enhanced support for downloading and installing system updates, always new Apple News + audio content, as well as new features, including interesting carkey features.
Update: Now available
Apple has seen a number of new features / changes over the last few months with iOS 13.
After that, we got iOS 13.5.5 Beta (renamed to iOS 13.6) which gave Apple News + a peek into the audio content. It brings professionally narrated audio stories from the Apple News Team to your device. We missed the Apple News + audio feature soon after it was unveiled.
Apple has detailed the new iOS 13.6 feature in a newsroom post today. In addition to Audio News + Audio Story, Apple is launching a new curated local news feature, CarPlay support for the News app, and more.
“Apple News has done so much journalism and we’re excited to help Apple News + Audio Story and a new daily news show, Apple News Today, help us awaken it in new ways,” said Lauren Kern, Editor-in-Chief of Apple News. We also value local news partners – our new local news feature highlights their work for readers who live and are interested in the community. “
Another highly anticipated feature that comes with iOS 13.6 is the launch of the car. 9to5Mac first discovered it in February with iOS 13.4 beta. Apple announced at WWDC that the feature will bring the first new BMW 5 series. It is a digital key that will work for locking, unlocking and starting supported vehicles. Users will be able to easily share their digital keys with iMessage and the feature will work for up to five hours after the iPhone runs out of battery.
IOS 13.6 has a new option in the Software Update> Automatic Updates section. Instead of a single toggle to turn on or off automatic updates that install the most recent iOS release overnight, iOS and iPadS 13.6 have two toggles, you need to choose if you want to download iOS updates automatically and install an overnight update.
Another change with this release is the ability to track new symptoms in health applications such as headaches, chills, sore throats and more. Finally, the News app’s privacy notices and links contain some short tweets that go to Settings> News and headlines.
IOS 13.6 will soon be rolled out to all users, see if the Software Updates section of Settings is available on your device.
Apple today released TVS 13.4.8, WatchOS 6.2.8 and AudioOS 13.4.8 for HomePod for all users.
Here are the full release notes for iOS 13.6:
IOS 13.6 adds support for digital car keys, presents audio stories on Apple News +, and has a new signs section in the health app. This release also includes bug fixes and improvements.
Digital car keys
- Unlock, lock and start your suitable car with your iPhone
- Securely remove digital keys from lost devices via iCloud
- Easily share digital keys with iMessage
- Driver-specific profiles so you can configure shared keys for full access or restricted driving
- Power reserve lets you unlock and start your car for up to five hours after the iPhone runs out of battery
- Audio Stories are professionally described by some of the best read versions of Apple News +, selected and produced by Apple News editors as part of your Apple News + subscription.
- A new, free audio briefing on the top stories of Apple News editors available in the Apple News Today podcast apps
- A new audio tab makes it easier to find Apple News Today and Apple News + audio stories
- CarPlay lets you listen to Apple News Today and Apple News + audio stories while walking down the street
- Local news on your Today feed provides extensive coverage of San Francisco, the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Houston and New York City.
- More stories from local news providers, including Apple News + subscriptions
- Your daily Apple Newsletter can now be personalized with stories that prove your interests.
- New section for symptoms in the health application, including cycle tracking and symptoms obtained from the ECG
- Ability to log new symptoms such as fever, runny nose, sore throat or cough and share them with third party applications
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
- Adds a new setting to choose whether updates are automatically downloaded to your device while on Wi-Fi
- Fixes an issue where apps may become unresponsive when syncing data from iCloud Drive
- Resolves an issue that may appear to be disabled in ESIM while data roaming is enabled
- Corrects an issue that appears as some of Saskatchewan’s phone calls originate from the United States
- Addresses a topic that can interfere with audio when making phone calls via Wi-Fi calling
- Fixes an issue that prevents some iPhone 6S and iPhone SE devices from registering for Wi-Fi calling
- Connecting to a third party hardware keyboard resolves a problem where the software keyboard may appear unexpectedly
- Fixes a problem that may cause Japanese hardware keyboards to be mapped incorrectly as American keyboards
- Enabling Assistive Touch addresses issues of stability when accessing the control center
- Provides a mechanism for administrators to specify domains to exclude traffic from driven VPN connections
Some features may not be available in all regions or all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
FTC: We use revenue generating automated links. More.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news:
(Embed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml9JkxCynaw (/ embed)